NEC/Minutes/10th May 2010
From Pirate Party UK Wiki
NEC meeting minutes 10th May 2010
Andrew Robinson, John Barron, Peter Brett, Philip Hunt, Miah Gregory, Finlay Archibald, Peter Liddell
Start of NEC meeting
Minutes of previous meeting approved.
Merchandising, no change since Sunday.
Autonomy regarding regions with devolved assemblies (Scotland, Wales, London).
We already have 'regional sub-bodies' which relate to European Parliament election boundaries.
Decided to keep things as they are for now, ie. core manifesto + candidates hold their own compatible viewpoints on a local basis.
Devolved assembly elections will be added to the permanent NEC agenda to keep them on the radar.
There are two candidates for Universities and Colleges Officer: Finlay Archibald and Andy Paliwoda.
Action: Finlay will talk to Andy and see whether he is still wanting this post.
NEC members vs. running as candidates.
No hard and fast rules on this, but generally felt that it would be preferable, where practicable, that people should step down when putting themselves forward for nomination.
In general, the NEC should look to get deputies in place in order to make it easier for people to stand as candidates without ties to the NEC, and to ensure we don't end up 'short staffed'.
NEC members vs. members of the board.
Some concern has been noted regarding conflicts of interests. Given the available pool of people to stand on the board, it was agreed that for the interim, current NEC members will be able to stand on the board, but that position should change as the party grows. Details to be decided by the board themselves.
Suggestion that an e-mail to members regarding the election results and the way forward is due.
Action: Peter Brett will get in touch with the web team, set up a pirate pad and organise the text etc.
Situation with Peter Liddell. A vote of no confidence has been proposed on the forums.
Action: Peter Liddell is keen to continue as treasurer, and will follow up on the forums following a lengthy discussion on the NEC meeting.
OFCOM negotiating team needed for a meeting on the 20th May. Peter Brett will be leading the negotiations with Will Tovey, Chris (Borgs) and perhaps another person. There is a need for a minute taker if possible. They will be discussing the Initial Obligations Code and the Digital Economy Act, and related topics.
NEC agrees this is a sensible discussion to be having.
PPI liaison - some confusion has arisen between Alex and Eric regarding who is going to be taking this on.
Action: Andy will talk to both and resolve.
Regional administrative officers. Looking to get votes in place for these within the next week or so.
Action: John Barron will talk to Tom about setting these up.
Membership fee increase/monthly payments.
Lengthy discussion but with no clear outcome/actions.
Call quality issues. Teamspeak/ventrilo suggested as alternatives to skype which might provide better audio quality when more people are on the call. Mumble is another alternative.
Action: Miah will circulate some alternatives on the mailing list.