NEC/Minutes/23rd April 2012
From Pirate Party UK Wiki
-Jack Alnutt (Andy)
-Steve Wilson (IT)
-John Barron (Board)
PC has approved all outstanding minutes provided.
HF notes last weeks minutes are still outstanding.
//Action: HF to finish last week's minutes
PC has approved all outstanding minutes provided.
PC has worked on farming out leaflet design with JA's aid
PC to sorting budgets (monitoring expenditure) for Scottish candidates, PC contacted GM and rest is ongoing
GM has contacted EC with outstanding receipts
GM to arrange conference meeting last week, which was done. Also planning meeting for this week.
HF went to the Scrambling for Safety event last week as a PPUK representative, along with Will Tovey
Team Leader Handover
LK notes handover from EG to SW. Asks LK to bring NEC up to speed. SW states he's been shadowing EG for the past while, so workload is ok.
SW notes procedural issues rather than technical issues is a more major concern. SW states the PirateBay proxy as an example, where SW wasn't sure whether he could do it 'politically'.
PC suggests that SW emails NEC when such issues arise. LK notes that best form of contact for him is by phone. PC suggests he could also visit and discuss issues in person.
//Action: PC to meet up with SW at some point after local elections (won't be resolved for a few weeks)
GM notes that PPUK.it was our original domain shortener. SW had alerted GM that it is up for renewal and whether to renew it.
Noted that we already have PPUK.eu to fulfill that purpose, but no longer works. GM suggests we should retain PPUK.it anyway as a fallback
//Action: SW to figure out whether PPUK.eu is salvageable, and if not ensure with GM that PPUK.it is renewed
LK has been in continued conversation with candidates, and talks about some of the issues faced and things learned.
JA requests that anyone that wishes to help out for the May election counts to gather data would be helpful.
//Action: PC to contact co-ordinators to make sure they have any support they need in AH's absence. (Ongoing)
LK finishes by stating we're now in a better position to fight elections.
LK starts with an apology to JB, his invitation email appeared to go to the wrong place.
JB notes the Board has had a meeting recently, and asks the NEC if they have any questions to ask.
PC points JB to issues that were raised in emails to the Board.
JB notes that the resignation in quick succession was a communications issue. Further to that, the Board discussed that any people intending to resign should do so sooner as an election was to be called.
The resulting actions meant that the Board didn't inform the NEC of additional resignations in time, JB has accepted that the Board should in future contact the NEC on resignation of a member of the Board.
GM asks if that will be made part of the Code of Practice. JB suggests it would if the Board accept it. PC has asked that if that becomes part of the Code of Practice, that it be discussed with PC and SW.
//Action: JB to contact PC and SW if Board accepts change to Code of Practice.
JA has noted that the Board has agreed at the meeting to notify the NEC immediately when a resignation occurs.
PC asks when new elections are likely, JB states that ordinarily nominations for a new position are expected to open 30 days after a vacancy opens, which would be 3rd May.
GM asks if there will be regular Board Meetings, JB notes that the Board agrees that the Board should have a chair, and JB has accepted that role with Stephen Ogden as deputy for 3 months.
JB notes he therefore intends to hold regular meetings.
LK wraps up stating he worries about time invested in a group of people who don't directly get more votes for the party. LK would like to get the Board more involved outside of taking care of the Party Constitution.
LK states he would therefore like 'Board shadows' within different parts of the Party, being involved in their activities.
//Action: HF to ensure semi-regular Board attendance in NEC meetings
LK notes an issue occured in regards to the PPEU declaration. LK has stressed that we make clear that we support PPEU, but that we can't be part of it at the time.
LK also notes that whilst we can observe and assist, but can't dedicate time and that we have no mandate to sign.
LK has also stated that the party cannot make a comittment to any joint policy.
GM suggested that the NEC make clear we stick with Ed's position, and that we'd like to follow PPEU's progress, but that we can't sign at this time.
JA suggested that views of the final documentation means we could reconsider our position. JA also reiterates that he signed the declaration as an individual, not on behalf of the party.
LK summarises that no lasting damage done. LK notes we could suggest resources that we can share internationally. LK notes a concern that time is being wasted on it now when it's not a great deal of use to the Party.
PC suggests that EG monitors the situation and inform us if there's anything we get involved in.
LK moves that the NEC does not make the party an active part of PPEU, but will maintain communications.
GM MOTIONS: NEC to back EG's position on the PPEU declaration, but that the Party will continue to monitor it.
Motion passes with 1 vote against.
LK suggests that PPEU is de-prioritised. LK stresses that EG has been asked to carry out his role as international representative by the NEC, and has the backing of the NEC on his judgement.
GM notes he has had a meeting with an events organiser and has agreed a retainer for him to start work.
He will look at events over two days, one afternoon for internals and one day for public viewing with a evening 'gig'.
GM notes that any speakers that anyone can suggest should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HF asks about date and location. GM states that location will be somewhere in London on weekend of 15th September.
//Action: NEC to decide what we want to consider dealing with at the conference.
//Action: GM to carry process forward and to keep list informed and bring back responses.
GM - Finances posted to EC and will be displayed publicly imminently
JA - Asks for confirmation that no action will be taken by EC wrt disciplinary panel. GM confirms
LK - Asks for someone to cover a Russia Today interview on Wednesday. LK points out it's not for the faint-hearted. Offer not taken up.
PC - Notes earlier discussion of skipping a week's meeting to allow focus on local elections. NEC agrees. Next NEC meeting thusly 8th May.
HF - Notes a public consultation on Wednesday 25th, but is unlikely to be able to attend. Will contact Will Tovey to ask him to attend.
JB - None, although requests a reminder of actions against him
SW - Notes concerns over AH being AWOL. SW is concerned as multiple server resources are under AH's control. Decided to be resolved off NEC agenda
LK will actively chase AH after May Elections over absence.
HF to finish last week's minutes
PC to meet up with SW at some point after local elections (won't be resolved for a few weeks)
SW to figure out whether PPUK.eu is salvageable, and if not ensure with GM that PPUK.it is renewed
PC to contact co-ordinators to make sure they have any support they need in AH's absence. (Ongoing)
JB to contact PC and SW if Board accepts change to Code of Practice.
HF to ensure semi-regular Board attendance in NEC meetings (Ongoing)
NEC to decide what we want to consider dealing with at the conference.
GM to carry process forward and to keep list informed and bring back responses.