NEC/Minutes/30th June 2010
From Pirate Party UK Wiki
NEC meeting minutes 30th June 2010
Andrew Robinson, Peter Brett, Finlay Archibald, John Barron, Miah Gregory
Start of NEC meeting
Minutes of last meeting approved.
Merchandising - nothing to report as Peter Liddell not on the call. Peter Brett would like to find someone to take on the management of the online shop etc, but has had no replies to his blog post requesting a volunteer. Andrew Robinson suggested putting something in the next newsletter. Andrew Robinson is keen for there to be someone else involved so that we don’t have a single point of failure.
Devolved elections. Nothing to report.
Annual renewal of the party registration is now potentially overdue. Action: Peter Liddell needs to let the NEC know how this is proceeding.
Board of Governors election and test vote. John Barron reports that the voting system is not yet ready, but hopes it will be sorted by the time of the next NEC meeting. John Barron will set up a test vote on the favourite James Bond actors.
Budget for general campaigning. Suggestion that we have a budget set aside for national campaigning (£2000 over six months), to be spent as required on things like posters, flyers and so on, with the goal of bringing in more members and hopefully becoming self funding through that. NEC agrees that Peter Brett should be allowed £1000 for the next six months to progress this and review at that stage.
Discussion on the options for things that could be used as membership incentives. The Open Rights Group give members a paperback book as part of their membership pack. Suggestion that we could give out a USB stick with some creative commons material on them. Another suggestion was to include the t-shirt graphics on a USB stick in the universities pack.
T-shirt subsidy. T-shirt advertising is a very good way to increase publicity. Suggestion that we look at subsidising the cost of t-shirts for the month of July or August to drive increased sales etc. Action: Andrew Robinson will look into whether this is possible with spreadshirt.
Manifesto process. We don’t currently have a process at the moment, and it is important to try and resolve this. We have tried a number of different ideas over the last year, but most have failed in one way or another. The major success was voting on each individual element of the manifesto. At the moment the “manifesto co-ordinator” is the party leader, mostly through lack of suitable people stepping forward to take this on. Action: Peter Brett will contact Richard Stallman regarding getting access to some source code.
Lengthy discussion on Scottish federal party/manifesto etc. Suggestion that we set a threshold for the number of members before we go this route, if possible, as we are already thinly spread in terms of volunteers at a national level. NEC agreed that this is a matter for discussion by the board of governors.