NEC minutes for 11th September 2014

Thursday, 11 September, 2014 - 20:30
Attending: 
Loz Kaye (LK) - Leader
Sam Clark (SC) - Treasurer
Ed Geraghty (EG) - Secretary
Apologies: 
Andy Halsall (AH) - Campaigns (Tech problems)
Observing: 
Jim Knott (JK) - Deputy Treasury

Matters Arising

  • SC to update about public/employer's liability brokerage stuff - emailed John Ashcroft, heard nothing back but needs to be chased further

  • SC Get £25 cheque for ICO - £35 cheque in the post - EG asks which address is the registered one, SC says he didn't want to confuse them, will change it after the renewal

  • SC Email round with conference options and open bidding - not emailing, trying to get something at the mill

  • SC/EG/AN to get heads together about a competition for designing posters/material and placing the volunteers - After office/volunteer - SC and AH will be getting a small poster run done this week

  • Put together branch starter document by the end of the month (LK to lead with branch support) - EG to come up to Manchester for physical meet

  • SC - Get fundraising timetable emailed round NEC - To do. LK: move has taken up massive amounts of time, will tomorrow work? SC: Yes, we plan to finish it tomorrow, we just need to launch it at the launch event

  • SC - Talk with SW about financial needs and get a plan together for server retirement - Not spoken due to availabilities, need to get together when they can find mutual time

  • ALL - Devise program to get volunteers placed in the correct place - LK: What's been sent through [by EG, see previous minutes] has been very useful, used to contact Manchester members for the launch.  LK asks if new volunteers can be kept an eye on for NW

  • LK - Reply to SO's email and have a chat with him about Nominations (to get in contact again) - Done, agreement is to get the ducks in a row before we push on that

  • LK and EG to make contact this weekend - Didn't happen. To carry to the physical meet

  • LK and SC to approve minutes over email after (previous) NEC meeting - Done

//ACTION: EG & LK to ping-pong on Volunteer stuff when physically meeting

//ACTION: EG to [GPG encrypted] email list of new volunteers at the end of this meeting to the NEC

 

Conference

SC: doing it at the mill is free, it seems to be sensible.  Pay what you want may even make money.  The mill can host quite a few people, too.

SC and AH have been emphatic that it must be a weekend; SC asks if there are any weekends at the mill?

LK: It's very booked up, but we need to talk to them.

LK: We need to question what conference is for; it's important for getting like-minded people in the same space.

SC: I'll make a decision from a financial point of view that we can't spend any money on it [the space to have the conf].

Maybe if we're doing more regular meetings, we don't need a specific conference?  Maybe move the date?

EG: We may need to move it anyway, we definitely need a central event to rally people around, even if we have smaller - it's already September, it's too late to announce for October anyway

LK: Agrees it's too late, and that we need a single rallying point - suggests looking at Feb 2015 given we're at a weird electoral place to host it in October

SC: If we do it Feb time, we may be able to use it to "rally the troops" closer to an election

SC: if we spend money on the conference this year, that's another constituency we can't stand in

LK: We do need to programme something in before March 2015

//ACTION: SC to talk with the mill about whether we have any availabilities at weekends - Feb 2015 / SC to talk with Verity tomorrow (RE: conf in Feb 2015)

 

Previous Minutes

To agree last week's by email, all others approved

 

Leader's Office

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

Moved into the new offices this past weekend (6th) - thanks to everyone who helped!

We've started working out of there as of the 8th.  It's already functioning and making things a lot easier.

LK/AH/JA have been able to do things like go over the electoral roll

Been able to get things moving on the national and regional sites again

Preparing for the office launch event on the 25th, which is our main focus for now.

 

Finance

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

As LK said, the office move has taken most of the time up; we can afford the office with our incoming, but we need to raise the base level of income from the memberships.  We also need to work towards the £15,000 for GE2015

Not received the VAT from HMRC, SC to talk with JK after the meeting

Once we have moved address, will make sure we have debit cards to stop throughput through people etc

EG asks if debit or credit cards?

SC says debit cards in the interim, though eventually credit cards.

 

Campaigns

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

LK: been alerted to a by-election in Manchester, election on the 9th of October, following the death of an incumbent.
Been in contact with Rochdale ESU - the timetable is the shortest it can be, will be putting out an email to the ML.  We don't have a candidate who covers that area.  We'll see what comes up, but we need to get noms in by Thurs next week, if it happens. Tuesday next week btw (16th) - LK to check Notice of Election here: http://rochdale.gov.uk/pdf/2014-09-11-notice-of-election-v1.pdf which has specific dates on it (ie Tues 16th 4pm for Noms in)
Loz's feeling is that the timetable is too short to realistically do that

 

Secretariat

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

Nothing much to add other than availability is back up to standard after a packed month or so.

LK: SC, you've budgeted for EG to come up, right?

SC confirms

LK: In Denmark until the 22nd

SC: 27th?

EG: might work, maybe come up for the launch event, then go back on Sunday...

JK: Provisionally OK for me too

 

Actions

EG & LK to Ping-pong on Volunteer stuff when physically meeting

EG to [GPG encrypted] email list of new volunteers at the end of this meeting to the NEC

SC to talk with the mill about whether we have any availabilities at weekends - Feb 2015 / SC to talk with Verity tomorrow (RE: conf in Feb 2015)

LK to check with Rochdale ESU over noms closing (see above def. Tues)

 

Date of Next Meeting

18th September 2014

 

Any Other Urgent Business

SC: Synergise conference on the 22nd/23rd September - don't mind going on my own, but might be nice to get a couple of us there if possible

LK: Quick reminder to invite the policy beta dev to the launch event...

(BTW Loz/all - Launch event post now on London.ppuk site.)