NEC Minutes for 13th August 2015

Thursday, 13 August, 2015 - 20:30
Attending: 
Cris Chesha (CC) - Party Leader
David Elston (DE) - Deputy Leader
Rebecca Rae (RR) - Campaigns Officer
George Walkden (GW) - Nominating Officer
Sam Clark (SC) - Treasurer
Observing: 
Jack Allnutt (JA) - Deputy Campaigns Officer
Mark Chapman (MC) - Deputy Nominating Officer

Area Updates

Leader's Office

Last Period

  • //ACTION: DE to get Loz Kaye's email now Loz is leaving - carried over.
  • //ACTION: DE to circulate list of govs who came forward as volunteers. - DONE
  • //ACTION: DE to provide feedback to PPI regarding reform - DONE
  • //ACTION: CC to have DE and CC added to PPI reforms mailing list - DONE
  • //ACTION: CC will start the process of installing moderation in the community. - DONE
  • //ACTION: CC to do a community post adressing the troll situation. - carried over
  • //ACTION: CC to adjust posters left over from GE for Andrew Mccallum and forward to Bex
  • //ACTION: CC to get in touch with media contacts passed on by Loz and do proactive introductions - carried over
  • //ACTION: CC to email everyone to start process of picking roles that you can do /  want to do & then we see what's left - some progress, ongoing
  • //ACTION: CC - Attempt to get up to speed with IT stuff with a view to setting up a wiki - now up to speed, but no wiki yet
  • //ACTION: CC - Carry on with JDs and separate those out - not carried over, duplicate
  • //ACTION: CC to finish new member "bootstrap" page - no progress, carried over

CC notes that he has had to put PPUK stuff on the backburner for a couple of weeks because of numerous personal issues; DE has been taking the lead. 

We ran the #TenYearsInTheBrig. The first time ORG have asked to partner with us, and we accepted. It would be good to get some stats from Campaigns on how the tag fared - may be useful ammo for asking ORG to work together again.

CC has been trolling IPO, is now officially "IPO accredited".

DE has been looking at community guidelines (pad 740). Board say it's operational, and so the appeals process should go through the NEC rather than the Board. SC: Board role is arbitration, so perhaps they should take on this role.

DE has been talking with the Scottish Libertarian Party, we have agreed to parley with them about working together. Asked if they will pay  for our expenses to go up there but no reply as of yet.

DE is trying to get familiar with the data controller role; is chaising data protection forms. Awaiting form from CC, AF, SC, RR, JA.

Policy curation needed. DE volunteers to curate policy in the short term. Some similar policies should be conflated and/or removed. CC: as NEC it is our responsibility to look after the policy set. Must be transparent about what we're getting rid of. SC: we need clear criteria for what should be removed or restructured.

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION: ALL: Refine community guidelines on arbitration/sign off
  • //ACTION: DE to resend forms out.
  • //ACTION: DE to email Loz for official authorization for access to Loz Kaye's email now Loz is leaving - carried over
  • //ACTION: CC to do a community post adressing the troll situation - carried over
  • //ACTION: CC to get in touch with media contacts passed on by Loz and do proactive introductions -  carried over
  • //ACTION: CC, RR, SC to look at pad and take tasks under own name
  • //ACTION: ALL, dependent on above: remaining tasks to be divided between NEC members
  • //ACTION: CC - Set up a wiki
  • //ACTION: CC to finish new member "bootstrap" page
  • //ACTION: Campaigns stuff - to write a piece about the Liberal Democrat and Green Party conference.
  • //ACTION: Writing work instruction for AF regarding low-level Treasury stuff.
  • //ACTION: Collecting Data Protection documents for Data Controller role (awaiting SC, RR, CC, JA and AF)
  • //ACTION: DE to resend Data Protection forms out.
  • //ACTION: DE to write a piece on TTIP (with 38 degrees thing in mind) 

DE plans to create a Health & Safety policy, and to look at policy curation. Also some stuff from the campaigns meeting (see separate minutes). SC to send DE the existing H&S policy.

Treasury

Last Period

  • //ACTION: SC and RR to look at "vacancies" web site pages and see if they can add some stuff about interns and make it more prominent. - not a priority - carried over
  • //ACTION: SC to review information being sent to the EC over this weekend. - DONE
  • //ACTION: SC to share boilerplate video content so RR and CC can use it for vlogs - carried over
  • //ACTION: SC to set up and distribute TINC info to Pirates so we can network together and share content for vlogs, etc.
  • //ACTION: SC to follow up with Reclaim - nothing heard, perhaps poke again
  • //ACTION: SC to chase Bilal - taken on by RR - moved to Campaigns
  • //ACTION: Monitor crowdfunder - ONGOING

GE campaigns spending return is in. AF willing to help with treasury roles, and provided information for a bank called Triodos, who have a merchant processing ability - SC gave them a call, but the person responsible is on holiday. They sound like a solid option. NB: Crowdfunder percentage cut: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/payment-options/crowdfunder-fees. NB: Ed wrote a GoCardless plugin.

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION: SC and RR to look at "vacancies" web site pages and see if they can add some stuff about interns and make it more prominent (not a priority)
  • //ACTION: SC to share boilerplate video content so RR and CC can use it for vlogs
  • //ACTION: SC to set up and distribute TINC info to Pirates so we can network together and share content for vlogs, etc.
  • //ACTION: SC to follow up with Reclaim
  • //ACTION: Monitor crowdfunder
  • //ACTION: SC to look at getting self-hosted solution for crowdfunding - team up with RR
  • //ACTION: Fundraising meeting with SC, RR and Bilal (medium term)
  • //ACTION: ALL: push the crowdfunder and CREATE SOME CONTENT
  • //ACTION: CC to design  T-shirts, Posters, Stickers, flags. - Friday.
  • //ACTION: Meeting between  SC, CC, RR to talk about logistics of crowdfunder awards

Nominations

Last Period

  • //ACTION: GW to check election issues that arose to ensure that they won't be issues in future - still waiting for board - Still no reply as of yet, Board discussing internally.
  • //ACTION: GW and MC getting list of ESUs to get notifications for upcoming elections. They have made a start in contacting them - still ONGOING - Mark taking lead.

Mark has been contacting, we have had some emails back, they have not neccesaritly all been positive - a lot of them work offline "Check on a weekly basis". MC has contacted and noted a few dead email addresses. Discovered a local election in Thurrock (near Southend) - positive result. :) Mark has a list of known vacancies from a political forum, which he is using to update a PAD. There are about 6 or 7 council by-elections a week - continually updating this pad

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION: Date needed for the next NEC election. Govs will need to verify as records are sketchy. Likely Jan 2016.
  • //ACTION: GW to check election issues that arose to ensure that they won't be issues in future

GW and MC both flexible.

Campaigns

Last Period

RR has held a campaigns meeting.

Completed mcr meet up promo - It's on Tuesday! :) JA notes that it conflicts with Manc Free Software meetup.

Completed crowdfunder social promo

Followed some people on Twitter account

Talked at Ladies Who Code - someone's coming to the meeting who was at that

Looked at party objectives & mission statement for marketing reasons

  • //ACTION: ALL to carry on promotion of Birthday stuff - ONGOING
  • //ACTION: SW/CC to pull together an own cloud calendar - nothing heard - carried over
  • //ACTION: CC to check existing media cache for reusable stuff from GE - carried over
  • //ACTION: RR to head up diversity team and look for other members - CARRIED OVER (need more peoples)
  • //ACTION: RR to email volunteers - CARRIED OVER
  • //ACTION: RR to start and communicate about podcast - ONGOING 30th Aug
  • //ACTION: RR Make campaigns meeting happen - DONE! 17th September 7:30
  • //ACTION: RR to email out asking for anything that needs raising in the campaigns meeting and any ideas for birthday things - DONE
  • //ACTION: CC to send over AM election posters - PAST
  • //ACTION: DE to start Wales press list - DE to provide full list shortly after meeting
  • //ACTION: RR to look at local press lists generally - carried over

Week Ahead

Talking at Ladies that UX in the next few weeks - soon

  • //ACTION: RR to get campaign stats for 10yearsinthebrig
  • //ACTION: JA to sort MCR website -  currently really out of date; could do with an update
  • //ACTION: GW to contact Manchester Branch people to get someone to take the lead
  • //ACTION: ALL Define roles - needs to happen within campaigns, too.
  • //ACTION: RR: Get a design volunteer/sound editing volunteer/web content person volunteer - long term
  • //ACTION: RR Trial Kanban with team - ongoing, required IT buyin
  • //ACTION: RR Work on tory conference ideas (OCT) - there is a pad
  • //ACTION: RR Look at contacting external orgs for the Tory conf - ORG, 38 Degrees, People's Assembly, ...
  • //ACTION: RR Add to website/Facebook/promo
  • //ACTION: DE to write something about Lib Dem/Greens conf (SEP)
  • //ACTION: Labour conf (SEP) - same as per Tory conf; we need to get some activist involvement if possible - Brighton.
  • //ACTION: JA - Talk Like A Pirate day (SEP) - get tweets out from all the Pirate accounts - pull out policies and go "This is how a pirate talks, harrr harr harr"
  • //ACTION: TTIP??? - RR to contact Rachid. Demo 22nd August. Add to our website to say we're there and to join in on 38 Degrees
  • //ACTION: website navigation update - ongoing
  • //ACTION: Get listserv access - ongoing
  • //ACTION: RR to liaise with Bilal about fundraising
  • //ACTION: SW/CC to pull together an OwnCloud calendar
  • //ACTION: CC to check existing media cache for reusable stuff from GE
  • //ACTION: RR to head up diversity team and look for other members
  • //ACTION: RR to email volunteers
  • //ACTION: RR to start and communicate about podcast
  • //ACTION: DE to provide Wales press list
  • //ACTION: RR to look at local press lists generally

Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 20th August, 8.30pm. DE sends apologies.

Any Other Urgent Business

Campaigns list is getting longer and longer. We need to find people for campaigns. If anyone has any leads for volunteers, please chase them up.

CC asks for feedback on the meeting format and schedule. No one raised any issues.

More Information

Chat with us

   

Upcoming Dates

Social Media

Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon YouTube icon

Current Internal Elections

Board of Governors Election - June 2017 - View
Nominations opened: 15 June, 2017 - 19:30
Nominations close: Thursday, 29 June, 2017 - 19:30