NEC Minutes for 1st October 2015

Thursday, 1 October, 2015 - 20:30
Attending: 
Cris Chesha (CC) - Party Leader
David Elston (DE) - Deputy Leader
Rebecca Rae (RR) - Campaigns Officer
George Walkden (GW) - Nominating Officer
Sam Clark (SC) - Treasurer
Observing: 
Mark Chapman (MC)

Area Updates

Leader's Office

Last Period

  • //ACTION: CC to get in touch with media contacts passed on by Loz and do proactive introductions - carried forward
  • //ACTION: CC, RR to look at pad and take tasks under own name - carried forward
  • //ACTION: ALL, dependent on above: remaining tasks to be divided between NEC members - carried forward. Board perhaps to take on some of these tasks.
  • //ACTION: CC - Talk to SW about setting up a wiki - carried forward - DE to explicitly invite SW to next NEC meeting
  • //ACTION: DE - Campaigns stuff - to write a piece about the Liberal Democrat and Green Party conference, will be done by the 24th - DONE a piece on the Greens, Lib Dem piece carried over
  • //ACTION: DE to chase Data Protection forms with remaining Governors - ONGOING
  • //ACTION: CC to source sticker design and touch base with SC about T-shirt designs (SC likes D2 and D3C best) - DONE. Gone with 2nd design. SC to order.
  • //ACTION: CC to pass login details for T-shirt shop to SC and repurpose "CC T-shirt shop" to more general PPUK shop. TODO NOW
  • //ACTION: DE to contact Andrew McCallum - No reply received
  • //ACTION: DE: Check with randomer to be election monitor and get back to GW - GW has Phil Cooke to do this, no action needed
  • //ACTION: CC to check existing media cache for reusable stuff from GE - no real useful stuff, need more SVG - Have sourced a new set of templates from Racco, and made a new set of posters. These will need to be uploaded to the media cache, but will for a good base going forward. DONE
  • //ACTION: CC to get listserv access  - to look at who is on what, because at the minute, volunteers are going through to "webformvolunteers" email, and no one knows who the recipients are. All lists need reviewing. - carried forward
  • //ACTION: DE & CC to write response to FOI consultation - Deadline 18/9 - DONE - consultation sent off, but received "mailbox closed" notification.
  • //ACTION: DE to discuss setting up a society with ER; Organize for ER to get some resource in return for making notes, etc to create a "pack" for people wanting to set up a new branch. - Emails back and forth - just waiting for pack from ER. Preparation for the weekend is underway. Arranging to meet ORG for Tory conf. Rename "Pirate Bloc" to "Digital Bloc" if ORG will participate. Arrangements to meet Birgitta and Raymond.

Podcast has been prepared (cf. Campaigns). AF helped prepare response to tedious consultation. Greens output will go out soon. "Buying Rights ..." blog went out. Promotion for Tory conf activity needed.

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION: CC, RR to look at pad and take tasks under own name
  • //ACTION: CC to upload templates to media cache
  • //ACTION: CC to get in touch with media contacts passed on by Loz and do proactive introductions
  • //ACTION: CC to pass login details for T-shirt shop to SC and repurpose "CC T-shirt shop" to more general PPUK shop
  • //ACTION: CC to get listserv access
  • //ACTION: CC - Talk to SW about setting up a wiki
  • //ACTION: ALL, dependent on above: remaining tasks to be divided between NEC members
  • //ACTION: ALL: Add job specs to volunteer page, inc. Welsh spokesperson to replace DE.
  • //ACTION: DE to send volunteers page to the Board.
  • //ACTION: DE to invite SW to next meeting
  • //ACTION: DE to write piece on Lib Dems
  • //ACTION: DE to chase Data Protection forms with remaining Governors

CC - many events; ORG Jim Killock meeting; Birgitta/Raymond meeting. Tory Conf. Birgitta talks. & write-ups. DE - writing.

Treasury

Last Period

  • //ACTION: SC to set up and distribute TINC info to Pirates so we can network together and share content for vlogs, etc. (URGENT) - WILL DO THIS WEEK (FRIDAY)
  • //ACTION: SC and RR to look at "vacancies" web site pages and see if they can add some stuff about interns and make it more prominent (not a priority) - TODO
  • //ACTION: SC to share boilerplate video content so RR and CC can use it for vlogs - RELIES ON TINC
  • //ACTION: SC to formally ask AF to be Deputy Treasurer - DO NOW
  • //ACTION: SC to look at getting self-hosted solution for crowdfunding - team up with RR (medium term) - TODO
  • //ACTION: Fundraising meeting with SC, RR and Bilal (medium term) - CARRY FORWARD
  • //ACTION: DE to write work instruction for AF regarding low-level Treasury stuff. - DONE
  • //ACTION: SC and AF to scout smaller banks. - DONE AND NOTHING POSITIVE
  • //ACTION: CC and SC to go to the bank (week on Friday) to remove Loz and add CC. - ONGOING (IN HAND)
  • //ACTION: SC to PayPal SW some money. - HALF DONE (ASKED FOR ADDRESS, NOT ACTUALLY SENT YET)
  • //ACTION: SC to pass CC details of the T-shirt provider that has been used in the past. - NOT NEEDED
  • //ACTION: JA to poke Andrew Robinson for PEF. - DONE
  • //ACTION: SC to pass expenses details to Board financial oversight committee. - DONE
  • //ACTION: AC to provide AF read only access to paypal - TODO 

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION: SC to order T-shirts.
  • //ACTION: SC to set up and distribute TINC info to Pirates so we can network together and share content for vlogs, etc. (URGENT)
  • //ACTION: SC to share boilerplate video content so RR and CC can use it for vlogs (dependent on above - NFS)
  • //ACTION: SC and RR to look at "vacancies" web site pages and see if they can add some stuff about interns and make it more prominent (not a priority)
  • //ACTION: DE to remove Deputy Treasurer from web pages above
  • //ACTION: SC to formally ask AF to be Deputy Treasurer via email
  • //ACTION: SC to look at getting self-hosted solution for crowdfunding - team up with RR (medium term)
  • //ACTION: Fundraising meeting with SC, RR and Bilal (medium term)
  • //ACTION: SC to meet CC to finalize bank paperwork
  • //ACTION: SC to PayPal SW some money
  • //ACTION: SC to co-ordinate sending round of PEF paperwork
  • //ACTION: SC to provide AF read only access to paypal
  • //ACTION: SC to organise doodle meeting thing for fundraising brainstorm session with many Pirates.
  • //ACTION (TOP PRIORITY): to sort DDs. SC to contact Harley. CC to contact Pete.

Additional fundraising desperately needed to continue paying ongoing costs, e.g. web hosting.  Membership renewal system is broken and needs to be changed. Problem is not clear. Potential solution: start again? But this would require a developer (at least two people who know what is going on). DE reports that around 100 people are not marked correctly - regular renewals are not updating properly. CC: Treasury should sort Direct Debit membership, and that will indirectly resolve this problem. SC: we need a new website (plugin).

Nominations

Last Period

  • //ACTION GW: NEC elections due in a few months. Election monitors will be due. George will free up some time to set up the election soon. - ONGOING
  • //ACTION GW: Board election is due from Alix stepping down. Timetable will be set in motion. Two election monitors needed, one of whom isn't an existing NEC or Board member. - Monitors in place. Election due to complete on Friday at 00:10. Few issues around membership settings in the database but hopefully nothing serious.
  • //ACTION GW: Update website texts to clarify seconding/nominations works - DONE

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION GW: NEC elections due in a few months. Election monitors will be due. George will free up some time to set up the election soon.
  • //ACTION GW: Finalize results of Board by-election.
  • //ACTION MC: Write a 'How to stand as a local council candidate' document. If anyone's interested - https://ppuk.piratenpad.de/724 lists council by-elections that are upcoming. This is updated on a weekly basis.
  • //ACTION DE: Email Board to ask for volunteers to help MC in sifting local council information.

It was agreed that ballot papers were a fantastic way to advertize the party's existence, regardless of the level of engagement or support of the candidates.

Campaigns

Last Period

URGENT ACTIONS
  • //ACTION: RR to start and communicate about podcast - calendared with CC and RR. Need to email out and see if people are up for joining us. CC has sourced some equipment for recording (lapel mics, etc). DE to record a segment about some stuff. - DONE
  • //ACTION: RR Work on Tory conference ideas (OCT) - there is a pad. Look at contacting external orgs for the tory conf (Mcr) - ORG, 38 Degrees, People's Assembly, ... Pirate Bloc ("Digital Bloc"?) has been promoted. RR has been engaging with people on social media.
  • //ACTION: JA Talk like a Pirate day (SEP) - get tweets out from all the Pirate accounts - pull out policies and go "This is how a pirate talks, harrr harr harr" - this opportunity has, sadly, been missed.
  • //ACTION: website navigation update - CARRIED OVER
OTHER ACTIONS
  • //ACTION: ALL Define roles - needs to happen within campaigns, too.
  • //ACTION: RR: Get a design volunteer/sound editing volunteer/web content person volunteer - long term - progress has been made - ONGOING
  • //ACTION: RR Trial Kanban with team - ongoing, required IT buyin - RR has been trying one out, will be meeting with the team in 2 weeks so will pick back up then.
  • //ACTION: Labour conf (SEP) - same as per Tory conf; we need to get some activist involvement if possible - Brighton.
  • //ACTION: RR Add events to website/ facebook/ promo - DONE
  • //ACTION: RR to liaise with Bilal about fundraising - ONGOING, RR has started a conversation
  • //ACTION: SW/CC to pull together an OwnCloud calendar - ONGOING
  • //ACTION: RR to head up diversity team and look for other members - Action concluded for now, with NEC formally adding Diversity Officer to RR's portfolio until further discussion is needed.
  • //ACTION: RR to email volunteers (the ones that Wendy has shortlisted) and try to get some support - DONE - some positive reactions - promoted on social media
  • //ACTION: RR to look at local press lists generally - ONGOING

Week Ahead

  • //ACTION: DE to record a segment about something he fancies chatting about. "Dave's top tips"
  • //ACTION: RR to promote podcast.
  • //ACTION: website navigation update
  • //ACTION: ALL Define roles - needs to happen within campaigns, too.
  • //ACTION: RR: Get a design volunteer/sound editing volunteer/web content person volunteer - long term
  • //ACTION: RR Trial Kanban with team - ongoing, required IT buyin
  • //ACTION: RR to liaise with Bilal about fundraising
  • //ACTION: SW/CC to pull together an own cloud calendar
  • //ACTION: RR to look at local press lists generally

Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 8th Oct, 8.30 - brought forward one week because of Tory conference happenings.

Any Other Urgent Business

Division of labour on Monday evening activities discussed.

Scottish and Welsh elections discussed. Agreed that the cost is likely to be prohibitive.