NEC Minutes for 13th February 2014

Thursday, 13 February, 2014 - 20:30
Attending: 
Loz Kaye (LK) - Leader
Jason Winstanley (JW) - Nominations
Andy Halsall (AH) - Campaigns
Sam Clark (SC) - Treasurer
Apologies: 
Sephy Hallow (SH) - Deputy Leader
Ed Geraghty (EG) - Secretary
Observing: 
Thomas Gaul

Matters Arising

  • LK to find venue in Manchester for Lancaster Meeting on the afternoon of 15th Feb - DONE
  • Jack Allnutt to co-ordinate branch "how-to" activity drawing on London and York branches - Ongoing
  • SH to resend Pirate Times stuff to LK - Done
  • LK to send EG post for pirate times - Done
  • LK to send EG links to press hits for upcoming member mailout - Ongoing
  • NEC to look over the New Web Project (NWP) - Ongoing, good progress
  • LK to finish election report for Ancoats & Clayton - Done (NEEDS PROOF READING BY END OF WEEK) ANDY AND JACK HAVE ALREADY INPUT
  • LK and EG to pull actions from physical meeting - Done
  • LK/EG to write member mailout on "The day we fight back" for the 10th - Done
  • LK/SH to write Leader's update WILL BE DONE BY END OF WEEK
  • NEC - Need to be sure of timings for various internal elections - Done
  • JW and Phil Cooke to agree on voting type and confirm to LK and AH for reflecting back

 

Previous Minutes

  • 30th Jan
  • 6th Feb

Carried forward - circulate through email

 

Leader's Office

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

  • Day we fight back, Loz in Wired and story out about British position on matter
  • Stephen Ogden fed back good results for Day We Fight Back
  • Manchester branch has had success with official refusal of ANOTHER carpark
  • Loz putting together another proposal with a local group of alternatives for carpark
  • Sephy doing lots of good stuff getting things out

Tasks for the upcoming week

  • Hosting 'Policy Beta' in Manchester
  • Ramping up press

 

Finance

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

  • Attended Internet Governance Forum today, lots of Info gained.
  • Internet Watch Foundation contact identified, and potential for further communication. Undergoing reconstruction.
  • Received invite to another forum in March.
  • People knew of the Party
  • Proper IGF in Brazil, but expensive so "nobody going".
  • Baroness Fritchie, Chair or Deputy Chair of Nominet present also Alun Cairns MP and Ed Vaizey MP (Minister for Culture Media and Sport).
  • Work hampered due to illness. Talking to Andy ensuring things are right and numbers add up. Accounts will therefore be late to internal targets, however NOT BY STATUTORY REQUIREMENTS.
  • Co-Op account: Andy/Party needs proof of address. (30 days of bank statements)
  • LK EG and SH need ID.
  • Exact date the party was founded.
  • Fiddling with Bitcoin payments (going well)

Tasks for the upcoming week

  • Getting bank account open (all ID things)
  • Getting together with Andy to add up numbers

 

Campaigns

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

  • Traffic on website
  • NWP Issues discussed with LK
  • DEADLINE for Pre-Staging: 22nd
  • Outbound increased, Ed handling most. Issues identified today, being fixed. Jack Allnutt and SH working together.
  • Press meeting yesterday. LK and AH unable to attend unfortunately. AH and Andrew Norton working together, major shift in press team over next few weeks. Mission Statement to be put in place. Outbound slower than we want, and inbound (even if higher than before) still not where we want.
  • Local issues, catching up.
  • Somehow increased returns via various methods.
  • TDWFB: 12 people informing us they contacting MP via phone or letter.

Tasks for the upcoming week

  • NWP (pretty much ongoing!)
  • Press Contacts

 

Secretariat

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

  • Delayed due to apologies.

Tasks for the upcoming week

 

Nominations

Brief update (max. 5 minutes) on actions/tasks since last meeting

  • Now in campaigns period for EU elections

Tasks for the upcoming week

 

PirateCon 2014

  • Keep as recurring item to discuss no later than March 2014

 

New Web Project (NWP)

  • SC: Been fiddling with Bitcoin things
  • AH: Still going strong, stupid rendering issues need fixing, Andy hates project (also has patience of a saint)

 

Membership

  • Positive upward trend currently

 

Priorities for 2014

  • Campaigns - NWP
  • Noms - EU
  • Leaders - National Issue Campaigns (Loz surveillance, Sephy blocking)
  • Finance - YE 2013 Accounts

 

Actions

  • ALL: Look over Ancoats & Clayton report (ANDY AND JACK DONE)
  • LK/SH: Write Leader's update for next week
  • LK/SC: Get together over IGF stuff
  • SC/AH: Add up numbers
  • LK: Pull priorities out of pad and circulate again
  • SC: Circulate summary of Internet Governance Forum

 

Date of Next Meeting

  • 20th February 2014

 

Any Other Urgent Business

  • AH: As of now Andy needs to know all spending
  • SC: Board elections clarification - JW: 24th or 25th Feb Board nominations period

 

OTHER

  • Thomas Gaul - Requesting nominations for people to do roles for PP-EU 222/23.03.2014 in Brussels