I'm writing to you to announce that due to recent elections to the National Executive Committee, there are three vacancies on the Board of Governors.
The Board is intended to house nine Governors who contribute to the party. Ideally a range of voices, including seasoned pirates and those with a fresh view, are very valuable to adding a guidance and experience to the party, amending the constitution or providing oversight. If you ever wanted to help keep the Pirate Party on track, you should consider volunteering yourself at the election.
Specifically, the Board of Governors:
- ...is the body responsible for proposing amendments to the Party's constitution
- ...drafts, proposes, and votes on amendments to the constitution (subject to approval by the vote of the whole membership)
- ...is required by the Constitution to impanel an Oversight Committee to monitor and report to the membership on the management of the party's finances: the Financial Oversight Committee. The Board may also establish other Oversight Committees as it sees fit
- ...is involved with disciplinary and arbitration issue
- ...meets monthly, usually by Discord or other medium, announced in advance
Who can be a Governor?
- A Party member of good standing who is not a member of the NEC
- Someone usually available to participate in the monthly meetings
What is the Process?
- A date is announced for the opening of nominations
- Once nominations open, a qualified member can nominate themselves
- All nominations require another member of good standing to second them (please note - someone being nominated cannot second someone else, nor can a member second more than one person)
- Nominations close on a specified date. All nominations that are validated go forward for the campaign period
- The campaign period commences and each candidate should promote their case. There is likely to be a Q & A session where members can ask questions of the candidates
- Once the campaign closes, members will be asked to vote
- The votes will be counted and validated and the winners announced
This is the timetable:
- Nominations open - 9th February 2018 at 2200 GMT
- Nominations close, campaign period starts - 23rd February 2018 at 2200 GMT
- Campaign closes, voting opens - 2nd March 2018 at 2200 GMT
- Voting closes - 9th March 2018 at 2200 GMT
The following links may be useful:
Alternatively, the Board can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pirate Party UK
Discord - http://discord.pirateparty.org.uk/