Labour

Tending to my GMB Membership

David Elston's picture

Well that was a surprising turn of events. The GMB membership was polled and 60% have come out in favour of Owen Smith MP to be the next Labour Leader, leaving 40% in support of Corbyn, as there was no option to back neither or spoil your ballot.

This resulted in the GMB coming out in support of Owen Smith, despite not coming out in support of a candidate in the last Labour leadership elections.

It seems the GMB themselves are quite surprised that this announcement generated a lot of attention, at least according to their twitter feed:

Sadly this has triggered a cancellation of my membership, as I simply cannot support Owen Smith. My open e-mail below details the particulars:

Snooper for PM

David Elston's picture



Despite the zombie IP Bill (Snooper's Charter) being knocked back to the depths from whence it came repeatedly, Teresa May's dark magic managed to revive the bill time and time again. Sadly the lack of opposition from Labour helped facilitate this bill and now it's creator is set to be our next Prime Minister.


Her coronation to PM is a sad day for privacy advocates. While our ISPs will be keeping hordes of data on us, Teresa May will get to decide as she leads the country into paranoia and a lack of privacy what to use that data for.

Investigatory Powers Bill: Andy Burnham is playing a dangerous game with our security and privacy

Monday, 4 April, 2016 - 14:30

The Pirate Party rejects Labour's attempt to amend the Investigatory Powers Bill. The bill is wrong in principle and dangerous in practice and should be scrapped.


Adrian Short, Pirate Party spokesperson, said:

"Andy Burnham's letter to the home secretary today shows just how closely Labour is prepared to work with the Tories to undermine the security and privacy of everyone in Britain.

Time for Pirate Politics

Speaker: 
Andy Halsall
Talk Date: 
Friday, 18 November, 2011
Talk Location: 
Birley Labour Party Branch
Sheffield
United Kingdom

Tom Watson Resignation and the Failure of Labour on Civil Liberties

Loz Kaye's picture

Tom Watson has been something of a political touchstone for the digital rights movement in the UK ever since he warned about the dangers of the Digital Economy Act in the dying days of the Gordon Brown government. Since then he has found his way on to the Labour front bench and been their general election coordinator.

For many of us his rise was rather frustrating as his ability to comment on digital issues seemed to have been hampered. Well no more, Tom is to return to the back benches.

UK Politicians Bid to Join Axis of Snooping

Friday, 14 June, 2013 - 11:45

Political pressure is again rising to push through blanket surveillance measures in the United Kingdom. Four former home secretaries have urged for a return of the Snoopers' Charter. In a letter published in the Times, the politicians – Labour's Jack Straw, David Blunkett and Alan Johnson and the Conservative Lord Baker – support new blanket monitoring powers contained in the Communications Data Bill.

Pirate Party UK Leader Loz Kaye said:

A Snooper's Charter and the future of Freedom

Friday, 15 June, 2012 - 11:00

Labour's Legacy, the future of Freedom

Loz Kaye commented on the lack of respect for liberties the Draft Communications Data Bill (CDB) provides and questions whether the opposition will fight against such legislation.

"Many of the justifications for CDB include 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear'. We know that the truth is that with CDB everyone has something to fear. It is also pointed out that this is the continuation of a Labour policy and so seems to have the support of all three main parties."

More Information

Chat with us

   

Upcoming Dates

Social Media

Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon YouTube icon

Current Internal Elections

Board of Governors Election - June 2017 - View
Nominations opened: 15 June, 2017 - 19:30
Nominations close: Thursday, 29 June, 2017 - 19:30